Reason Why You Should Clean the Mold in Your Home

If you’ve experienced water damage and taken care of repairs, but have a musty odor in your house, probably it is the result of mold. It thrives in moist, dark, and warm places. To correctly deodorize your house, the affected region will need to be dried and the mold properly eliminated. 

Ideas to remove mold related odors:

  • Assess the damp areas throughout your home that can support mold growth.
  • When the affected area is less than 10 square feet, you also are able to clean it yourself by scrubbing the surface with a combination of household water and detergent.
  • Don’t use bleach, as it only kills reside mold, but not mold spores, leading to faster mold development.
  • For areas larger than 10 square feet, speak to a professional mold remediation business.
  • To dry a place, the best things to use are dehumidifiers, air-moving machines, and fans. If the issue is large in scale, then it is ideal to hire a property restoration company which may provide industrial-strength machines also contains mold removal encounter.

If you or the restoration specialist determine the musty odor is not caused by mold, here are some tips to remove the odor from other materials:

  1. For rugs, a simple method to eliminate odor is to use baking soda, a natural deodorizer. Following the carpet is dry, sprinkle baking soda on it, then permit the baking soda to sit overnight. The following day, remove the baking soda using a vacuum machine.
  2. On upholstery, use white vinegar to absorb the odor. Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and then spritz it to the upholstery. Wait until the vinegar air-dries. The strong smell of vinegar, together with the musty scents, will be gone once it has dried.

If you are not certain what to do if confronted with an odor problem, speak to a restoration professional right away, before the issue worsens. For almost any odor removal situation, call your local PuroClean office.

After a water-related disaster, or even when there is a little flow on your roof, the chances for mold to grow in your house are significantly significant. Mold is associated with all sorts of health and structural issues, so removing it instantly should be a priority. Read on to find out why you need to clean the mold in your home after you notice it:

  • There are over 100,000 species of mold, and all of them can be harmful. Even non-toxic molds can cause you to get ill; in actuality, they are likely to influence you, as they’re more common.
  • Mold exposure can lead to over 30 health problems, including asthma and other respiratory disorders, such as obstructive lung disease. Mold can also produce a respiratory illness worse through repeated exposure.
  • Sensitive individuals can create allergic reactions by touching or inhaling mold spores. Symptoms include headaches, coughing, skin rash, runny nose, and red eyes.
  • In some instances, mold exposure can cause chronic sinus ailments. Even if mold exposure wasn’t the principal cause of the infection, those who suffer from chronic sinusitis should prevent any contact with mold to prevent additional complications.
  • In a study by The American Journal of Public Health, the outcomes have shown that mold in homes is linked to depression.
  • Mold can grow on any organic surface: wood, sheetrock, cloth, drywall, carpets, etc. Thus, almost all surfaces in your house are under the risk of mold growth if there’s a moisture supply present.
  • An area of mold will grow bigger and larger (in case the water issue is not fixed) until specialist mold restoration solutions are demanded. Act fast once you see mold in your house in order to reduce or prevent widespread damage.
  • Depending on the degree of the intrusion, the substances on which mold grows may be restored. However, generally, softer substances infected with mold, like carpeting and upholstery, will need to be replaced entirely.
  • Mold on surfaces may also distribute to the heating and venting system in your home. In cases like this, professional assistance is required. If the mold can’t be removed thoroughly, the ventilation system might need to be substituted.
  • Should you paint over a mold-infested surface, the mold can consume the paint in just a couple of months. Mold needs to be eliminated prior to applying a fresh coat of paint, rather than a mold-resistant kind.

This article offers important guidelines about the best way best to prevent mold growth in your home. For skilled fire, mold, and water restoration solutions, contact your regional PuroClean office or visit their website for more information.

About the author